Write For US! Submit original article and get paid. Find out More

Top 10 People who disappeared in aircraft

File picture of a Sukhoi Superjet-100

September 29, 2008, a hiker found identification cards of Steve Fossett in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, and the crash site was discovered a few days later, 65 miles south of Flying M Ranch, where it was removed. On November 3, 2008, tests on two bones recovered from the accident produced a match with Fossett’s DNA. He had been found.

If Fossett has not been found which have undoubtedly made this list. It’s hard to believe that something as big as an airplane can only disappear, leaving behind no trace of where it landed. However, even on land, planes disappear and are never discovered. Or only discovered years later. Here are ten stories of people on the plane took off and disappeared, never to be seen again.

Charles Eugene Jules Marie Nungesser, French ace was a pilot and adventurer, best remembered as a rival to Charles Lindbergh. Nungesser, was a well-known in France as the third highest rating in the country by air combat victories during the First World War After the war, came to the United States, where planes flew in such films as Dawn Patrol. It was during the time that planes flew films had the idea to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.

Nungesser finally fulfilled his idea and set off on an attempt to make the first nonstop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York. He was flying with fellow wartime François Coli, in his plane The White Bird (L’Oiseau Blanc), a biplane PL.8 Levasseur. Coli and was known for making historic flight across the Mediterranean, and had been planning a transatlantic flight in 1923, with fellow wartime Paul Tarascon, another ace of the First World War. When Tarascon had to leave due to injury from an accident, Nungesser entered as a replacement.

Nungesser and Coli took off from Paris on May 8, 1927. His plane was seen again on Ireland, and then was never seen again. The disappearance of Nungesser is considered one of the biggest mysteries in aviation history, and modern speculation is that the aircraft was lost on either the Atlantic or crashed in Newfoundland and Maine. Two weeks after the attempt of Nungesser and Coli, Charles Lindbergh successfully travel, flying solo from New York to Paris in the Spirit of St. Louis.

Sigizmund Levanevsky born in a Polish family in St. Petersburg, Russia. Participated in the October Revolution on the side of the Bolsheviks, and later participated in the civil war in Russia, serving in the Red Army. In 1925, he graduated from the Naval Aviation School in Sebastopol and became a military pilot. As a pilot who carried out several long-haul flights. One of them took place on July 13, 1933, when Levanevsky rescued the American pilot James Mattern, who was forced to land near Anadyr during an attempted flight around the world.

Wed In April 1934, Levanevsky off from a makeshift runway in the Arctic ice of the Chukchi Sea, involved in the successful air rescue operation to save people from the sunken steamer Cheliuskin. He was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union by this fact. In August 1935, Levenevsky completed its first flight over the North Pole, a journey from Moscow to San Francisco. A contemporary of Charles Lindbergh, Levanevsky was hailed as a hero of the new era of aviation. In early 1936, flew back from Los Angeles, USA Moscow, USSR.

August 12, 1937, a type Bolkhovitinov DB-A aircraft with crew of six men under the captaincy of Levanevsky, began its long haul flights from Moscow to the U.S. through North Pole. Radio communications with the crew broke the next day, Aug. 13, when the aircraft encountered adverse weather conditions. After unsuccessful search attempts, all crew members are presumed dead. In March 1999, Dennis Thurston of the Minerals Management Service in Anchorage, found what appeared to be the remains in the shallow waters of the Bay of Camden, between Prudhoe Bay and Kaktovik. There was speculation that the media was Levanevsky aircraft, but a later attempt to locate the object again without success.

Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith

Edward Sir Charles Kingsford Smith was a well-known early Australian aviator. In 1928, he made the first flight across the Pacific from America to Australia. He almost did not set the world record in aviation. As a child, living in Australia, young Charlie Smith was rescued from drowning on the beach in Sydney’s famous Bondi certain, for the swimmers who, just seven weeks later, were responsible for founding the world’s first life Official surf group savings at Bondi Beach. During the First World War he served in Gallipoli and eventually earned his wings. Was shot down and was a part of your foot amputee as a result. However, he continued flying in the U.S. as an itinerant actor, and then back in Australia as a pilot and an aviator.

May 31, 1928, Kingsford Smith and his team left Oakland, California, for the first flight across the Pacific to Australia. The flight was conducted in three stages. The first (from Oakland to Hawaii) was 2.400 miles, took 27 hours and 25 minutes and was uneventful. Then flew to Suva, Fiji, 3,100 miles away, taking 34 hours 30 minutes. This was the hardest part of the trip, as it flew through a massive storm near Ecuador. Then flew to Brisbane in 20 hours, which landed on June 9, 1928, after approximately 7,400 total flight miles. On arrival, Kingsford Smith was greeted by a crowd of 25,000 at Eagle Farm airport, and was feted as a hero.

He also made the first nonstop crossing of the Australian continent, the first flights between Australia and New Zealand, and the first to cross the Pacific to the east of Australia to the United States. He also made a flight from Australia to London, and set a new record of 10.5 days. Kingsford Smith and co-pilot Tommy Pethybridge Lady flew to the South during the night of Allahabad, India, Singapore Cross, as part of its attempt to break the speed record in England and Australia held by CWA Scott and Tom Campbell Black, when they disappeared over the Andaman Sea in the early hours of November 8, 1935.


Eighteen months later, the Burmese fishermen found an undercarriage leg and wheel that had been washed ashore in Aye island in the Gulf of Martaban, off the southeastern coast of Burma. Lockheed confirmed the undercarriage leg to be Dame de la Cruz del Sur. The running leg is now on public display in the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Australia. In 2009, a film crew from Sydney said they were sure they had found the Lady Southern Cross, which had been the landing gear found in 1937 on the Isle of Aye.

Sir Ian Mackintosh was a British novelist and writer, who is best remembered for creating the series of The Sandbaggers and television warship. On July 7, 1979, Mackintosh, along with Susan template, the daughter of an English cricketer, and the pilot left Anchorage, Alaska, en route to Kodiak. His plane developed engine problems and is believed to left in the ocean about 45 miles off the coast of Kodiak. Two U.S. Coast Rescue helicopters and a Coast Guard Guard were sent immediately to the area where the plane left. There are no signs that the plane was never found. The search continued for three days. Sir Ian Mackintosh was rumored to have been a British spy, and some believe that his disappearance was related in some way to work underground, but no proof. In all likelihood, the aircraft left and either sank, taking all three at the bottom, or all three survived and were drowned or succumbed to the cold.

George Cogar was a pioneer in the field of computers. A member of the UNIVAC 1004 electronic design team, Cogar finally invent the data recorder, which resulted in the need of computer punch cards. His company later invented an early type of personal computer. On September 2, 1983, George Cogar, five others and the pilot were aboard a plane en route from Vancouver Island to a hunting lodge in Smithers, Canada. The missing plane, probably of British Columbia, Canada. A search effort a week covered about 40,000 square kilometers, but no trace of the aircraft or its occupants was ever found. At that time, was the largest coordinated search in Canadian history and cost nearly $ 1 million. The families of the missing men, all billionaires, decided to continue the search on their own. So far, no trace was found.

Sir Arthur Coningham was a British RAF Air Marshal who served in World War II, as Commander in Chief Air Flight Training Command. Coningham is chiefly remembered as the person most responsible for the development of forward air control parties conduct close air support, which developed as commander of the Western Desert Air Force between 1941 and 1943, and as commander of the tactical air forces in the campaign Normandy in 1944.

In the movie Patton, Coningham is played by actor John Barrie. During the scene in which General George S Patton complains about the lack of air support for U.S. troops, Sir Arthur Patton confirms that more planes will not Germans. As has completed his sentence, the German planes strafed the compound. Coningham had recently retired from the RAF when the plane was missing in the western Atlantic. He was one of the 25 passengers on board an Avro Tudor IV G-Star AHNP Tiger, along with six crew members were lost when his flight from the airport in Santa Maria, Azores, failed to reach its target of Kindley Field, Bermuda. The plane was trying to locate Bermuda airspace when the radio officer, Robert Tuck Star Tiger board, called a radio relationship of Bermuda, but the signal was not strong enough to get an accurate reading. Tuck repeated application Eleven minutes later, and this time the radio operator of Bermuda was able to get an orientation of 72 degrees, an accuracy of 2 degrees. Bermuda operator of transmission of this information, and Tuck acknowledged. This was the last communication with the aircraft.

Bermuda radio operator tried several times to contact the Star Tiger again, without success. He then declared a state of emergency. He had heard no distress message, and no one else, even though many receiving stations listening on the frequency of Star Tiger. USAAF personnel operating the airfield immediately organized a rescue effort that lasted 5 days. Twenty-six aircraft flew 882 hours in total, and surface vessels was also carried out a search, but no signs of Star Tiger and its 29 passengers and crew were never found. The disappearance of the Star Tiger baffled British official investigation, which could offer no explanation of why the plane was missing. The disappearance of the Star Tiger is one of the mysteries of the foundation that led to the concept of the Bermuda Triangle.

Andrew Whitfield was the nephew of wealthy steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. Whitfield was a graduate of Princeton University and has been employed as a business executive. An amateur pilot, Whitfield monoplane owned by a small red and silver club Taylor, who occasionally flew (mostly for recreation). At the time of his disappearance, he had accumulated 200 hours flying experience. It departed from Roosevelt Field on Long Island, New York, on the morning of April 17, 1938, in his monoplane Taylor Cub. He had planned to land at an airfield in Brentwood, New York (about 22 miles away). It was supposed to only be in the air for fifteen minutes, but never arrived as scheduled. A source said the plane had been flying Whitfield constantly, but then Whitfield “nose of his plane into a gentle easterly wind, [and] out of sight.”

Thu His plane had enough fuel for a flight of 150 miles. Or Whitfield, or the plane has been recovered. After his disappearance, an investigation found that (the day of his disappearance) he had checked into a hotel in Garden City, Long Island, under an alias from time to time used “. Albert C. White, said records Whitfield hotel / White had paid four dollars in advance for the quarter and never checked out. When the hotel room was searched, they discovered that their personal belongings (including his passport), clothing, cufflinks engraved with his initials, two life insurance (on behalf of the list to his wife, Elizabeth Halsey Whitfield, that the beneficiary ), and several bags and bond certificates issued in the names of Andrew and Isabel, were left in the hotel room. Phone records also said he called to his house while his family was looking for him, and a telephone operator reported that he heard him say over the phone: “Well, I’m taking out my plan.”

After this information was discovered, police in the theory that Whitfield had committed suicide by deliberately flying his plane into the Atlantic Ocean, although there is no evidence to prove this theory has been found. A thorough search of the oceans that surround Long Island took place, but showed no sign of wreckage. At the time of the disappearance of Whitfield, there was no evidence that he had personal problems or business. Whitfield was married to (former Elizabeth Halsey) earlier this year, and had been planning to move to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, (with his new wife) the same month she disappeared.

Thomas Hale Boggs, father was a member of the House of Representatives United States, in Louisiana. He was the House majority leader. During his tenure in Congress, Boggs was an influential player in government. He served as majority whip from 1961 to 1970 and as majority leader from January 1971 until his disappearance. As majority leader, who introduced most of President Johnson’s Great Society legislation in Congress. In April 1971, delivered a speech on the House floor, attacking strongly FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, and the entire FBI. This led to a conversation on April 6, 1971, between then-President Richard Nixon and the Republican minority leader, Gerald Ford, in which Nixon said he could no longer take advice from Boggs as a senior member of Congress. In the recording of this call, Nixon is heard asking Ford to organize the delegation of the House to include an alternative to Boggs. Ford speculates that Boggs is in tablets and alcohol.

As majority leader, Boggs often campaigned for others. On October 16, 1972, was aboard a twin-engine Cessna 310 with Rep. Nick Begich of Alaska, who was facing a tight race possible in the November 1972 general election against the Republican candidate, Don Young. Boggs and Begich disappeared during a flight from Anchorage to Juneau. The others only on board the plane were assistant Begich, Russell Brown, and the pilot. They were heading to a fundraiser for the Begich campaign. (Begich won the 1972 election posthumously to 56 percent to 44 percent of young adults, but young would win the special election to replace Begich and won all elections up to and including 2010.)


Sat Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force planes searched for the game. On November 24, 1972, after 39 days, the search was abandoned. Neither the wreckage nor the pilot and other passengers were never found. The accident prompted Congress to pass a law requiring the emergency locator transmitters on all U.S. aircraft civil. The events surrounding the death Boggs has been the subject of much speculation, suspicion and numerous conspiracy theories. These theories often focus on their membership in the Warren Commission. Boggs dissented from the majority of the Warren Commission, which supported the single bullet theory. As for the bullet theory, Boggs said, “I had serious doubts.” Some conspiracy theorists believe Boggs was killed to stop their investigation of the assassination of Kennedy. In the 1970′s, was also a bad idea to have public J Edger Hoover and piss out of Richard Nixon. If it was deleted or simply crashed his plane into the Alaskan wilderness, Boggs and the plane never found.

Felix Moncla and Robert Wilson

First Lieutenant Felix Moncla, pilot and second lieutenant Robert Wilson, radar operator, disappeared when its U.S. F-89 aircraft Scorpion was scrambled from Kinross Air Force Base, and then disappeared over Lake Superior, while the interception of an unknown aircraft in the airspace of Canada, near the Canada – U.S. border. The Air Force identified the second aircraft to Royal Canadian Air Force C-47 Dakota CV-912, across the north of Lake Superior from west to east at 7,000 feet, en route from Winnipeg to Sudbury, Canada. Some ufologists have linked the disappearance to the alleged “flying saucer” activity and refer to him as “the Kinross Incident”

On the night of November 23, 1953, Air Defense Command Ground Intercept radar operators in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, identified an unusual object near the Soo Locks. An F-89c Scorpion Kinross Air Base rushed to investigate the radar return, the Scorpion was piloted by First Lt. Moncla, with Second Lieutenant Robert L. Wilson, acting as a radar operator of the Scorpion. Wilson had problems tracking the object on the radar of the Scorpion, so that ground radar operators Moncla gave instructions to the object while flying. Flying at about 500 mph, Moncla finally closed on the object at about 8000 meters.

Control Ground tracking scorpion and the unidentified object as two “blips” on the radar screen. The two blips on the radar screen grew more and more until it seemed to merge into one (round trip). The single signal disappeared from the radar screen, then there was no way at all. We attempted to contact via radio Moncla, but this was not successful. A search and rescue operation was mounted quickly, but found no trace of the aircraft or pilots.

The official USAF Accident Investigation Report F-89 states was sent to investigate a RCAF C-47 Skytrain was traveling off course. No explanation for the disappearance of the aircraft was offered, but the researchers speculated that the Air Force Moncla may have experienced vertigo and crashed into the lake. Others believe that the plane made contact and maybe hit a UFO.

Frederick Valentich was a pilot for 20 years that a Cessna 182L, 21 October 1978, went to King Island in Australia, to pick up three or four friends and back to Moorabbin Airport, from which it came. During the flight of 127 nautical miles, Valentich recommended air traffic control in Melbourne was accompanied by a plane about 1,000 feet above it. He described the unusual actions and characteristics of the aircraft, reported that his engine had begun to run more or less, and eventually reported before disappearing off the radar “That strange aircraft is hovering over me again. Sift and is not a plane. ”

No trace of Valentich or his aircraft was never found, and a Transportation Department inquiry concluded that the reason for the disappearance could not be determined. The report of a UFO sighting in Australia attracted considerable media attention, partly because of the number of reported sightings by the public on the night of Valentich’s disappearance. Valentich was an experienced pilot with a Class Four instrument rating and 150 hours flying experience, and had filed a flight plan from Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne, King Island in Bass Strait. Visibility was good and the winds were light. Moorabbin departed at 18:19 local time, contact the Flight Service Unit of Melbourne to inform of their presence, and reported to reach Cape Otway at 19:00.


Wed 19:06 Valentich said Melbourne Flight Service, Steve Robey for information about other aircraft at its altitude, and was told that there was no known traffic at that level. Valentich said he could see a big unknown aircraft appeared to be illuminated by four bright landing lights. He could not confirm its kind, but said he spent about 1,000 feet up and moving at high speed. Valentich then reported that the aircraft is approaching from the east and said the other driver could be on purpose, playing with him.


Fri at 19:09 Valentich Robey asked to confirm his height and he could not identify the aircraft. Valentich confirmed his height and began to describe the plane, saying it was “long”, but was traveling too fast for him to describe in more detail. Valentich has stopped working for about 30 seconds, during which time Robey asked for an estimate of the size of the aircraft. Valentich said the plane was in orbit above it and had a shiny metal surface and a green light on it. This was followed by 28 seconds of silence before Valentich reported that the aircraft had disappeared. There was a jump of more than 25 seconds in communications before Valentich reported that it was approaching from the southwest. Twenty-nine seconds later, at 19:12:09 Valentich reported that it was experiencing engine problems and will proceed to the Isla del Rey. There was a brief silence, until he said “is suspended and is not a plane.” This was followed by 17 seconds of unidentified noise, described as “metallic, scraping sounds, then all contact was lost. A search and rescue alert was given the RAAF and two P-3 Orion aircraft searched for a period of seven days. No trace of the aircraft was found.

Transcript of the final conversation between Valentich and the air traffic controller is very annoying to read. As the tape of the conversation between Valentich and air traffic control comes to an end, several seconds of silence, but strange metallic sound, as you can hear in the background. Or, as some have speculated, Valentich was the creation of an elaborate ruse to cover up its intention of self-loss, or actually found something very strange just before his disappearance. The transcript is available here.

There is a list of people who have disappeared in the plane would be complete without a mention of the well- Amelia Earhart known. A renowned aviator in 1937 Earhart was attempting a flight around the world with his co-pilot Fred Noonan in a Lockheed model 10 Electra. Earhart disappeared over the central Pacific Ocean near Howland Island. Apparently lost, and may not be able to hear radio transmissions trying to direct the runway at the tiny Howland Island, Earhart and Noonan assumes ran out of fuel and crashed or abandoned in the Pacific Ocean.

Fascination with her life, career and disappearance continues to this day, with multiple theories surrounding her disappearance and possible survival of the crash. Some believe he was taken prisoner by the Japanese. Others believe that she and / or Noonan made it to one of several small atolls where he later died of thirst, hunger and exposure. A recent search of the remains found what appeared to be small fragments of human bones in a small island. We also found what appeared to be cosmetic for women and other evidence that might Earhart had survived the crash and came to earth. However, the bone had deteriorated to the point where DNA analysis could not determine if the bones were human, not to mention the bones of Earhart. Amelia Earhart remains the most famous people who have disappeared in the aircraft.